If you are an autistic teenager or adult, the future you want starts here…
We specialize in autism in adults. Autism does not stop the day public school ends. The only thing that stops is your mandate to receive specialized services, but many persons labeled with autism are eligible to receive services to learn to work from the Texas Workforce Commission – Vocational Rehabilitation Services. Spectrum is here to guide you through transition into adulthood.
Spectrum Developmental Services prepares young autistics to live after high school. We teach autistics to live with their autism and learn how embrace it and grow with it. In addition, we teach social cognitive skills that will improve interpersonal communication and assist in making adult connections and friendships. We teach individualized independent living skill development. We also provide adult coaching and mentoring.
We Provide Transition Services
Transition services are those specialized services that prepare students to move from school into the adult world. These transition services should start no later than age 15.
The following is a non-comprehensive list of common transition services:
- Referral and connection to agencies who provide services for adults.
- Career planning.
- Self-determination, self-advocacy and self-management training.
- Goal setting and coaching to achieve dreams.
- Transition from parent-guided daily living skill development to independent living skill performance.
- Learning how to understand and accept their autism apart from their parents’ explanation.
- Improving executive functioning skills which help autistics plan, organize, start, sustain, and finish tasks while maintaining self-regulation.
Children with autism spectrum disorders grow up to be adults with ASDs who often need training and support. Specialized training for community living, friendship safety and development, workplace social expectations, and dating and sexual safety can be very helpful and reassuring for young adults with ASDs.
Spectrum Services is an approved vendor for Texas Workforce Solutions-Vocational Rehabilitation Services (TWS-VRS), formerly the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS); we provide social and behavioral assessment for job readiness, one on one training and support services, social group and job readiness training.