Fran Templeton, loved by parents of children with ASDs in the Fort Worth area, and well-known autism consultant and mother of an adult child with ASD, teaches children and adults critical social skills necessary to understand how others think and how to learn to share space effectively with others.
Social Cognitive Therapy Classes
What is Social Cognitive Therapy?
Social cognitive therapy is based upon an award-winning social cognitive therapy program developed by Michelle Garcia Winner. Spectrum Services’ social cognitive therapy is Fran Templeton’s adaptation of the original social thinking curriculum.
Who Can Benefit from Social Cognitive Therapy?
Adults who exhibit social cognitive differences and delays
Workplace Behavior and Readiness (ASD) Training Series
Who to Refer: Consumers with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Dual Diagnoses and Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities who would benefit from Independent Living, Social Skills and Behavioral Training.
Locations of Classes: Fort Worth & Richardson (Download registration form.)To register, call Fran Templeton at 817-454-6501 to enroll.
Class Descriptions and FocusSocial Cognitive Therapy for the Work Place – Part 1
- What is Social Cognitive Therapy?
- Why it is important on the job
- Understanding personal social and job strengths and weaknesses
Social Cognitive Therapy for the Work Place – Part 2
- Identifying expected and unexpected social behaviors in the workplace
- Learn the connection between expected and unexpected behaviors and the thoughts they create in employers and co-workers
- Identifying personal expected and unexpected behaviors
Social Cognitive Therapy for the Work Place – Part 3
- Making adjustments to personal behaviors based on the thoughts of others
- Understanding the importance and skills necessary in order to listen
- Understanding the importance and skills necessary to ask for help
Improving Social Communication to Get and Keep a Job
- What is social communication?
- The role it plays in getting and keeping a job
- Understanding the connection between social communication and the social behavior map
Developing Self-Management Skills in Order to Work
- Understanding the importance of being able to independently manage your daily life
- The relationship between self-management and self-determination and self-advocacy
- Understanding the relationship between self-management and time-management and executive functioning skills
What are Employers Thinking?
- Addressing theory of mind deficits to assist consumers to understand what employers are thinking
- Explanation of what skill set, including social and behavioral skills, employers want from employees
- Adjusting personal behaviors to meet employer expectations
It All Begins With You!
- Understanding your support base and widening your network
- Accepting personal responsibility and taking action to change your life
- Learning how to communicate your strengths
Using Social Cognitive Therapy for a Successful Job Interview – Part 1
- Preparing your personal fact sheet
- Preparing your resume
- Identifying personal and business references
Using Social Cognitive Therapy for a Successful Job Interview – Part 2
- Successful completion of an online job application including memorization or use of fact sheet for personal information
- Fill out a paper application
- Discussion of proper appearance for job interview
Using Social Cognitive Therapy for a Successful Job Interview – Part 3
- Trainers conduct mock job interview and give feedback
- Dress rehearsal for actual interviews
- Consumers give encouraging and corrective feedback to other consumers in a group setting
Strategies for Specific Social and Behavioral Situations and Issues in the Job Environment
- Understanding that poor social interaction and communication can be interpreted as poor behavior
- Interpersonal problem solving on the job and how it can lead to failure
- Dealing with problem behaviors on the job
There is One in Every Crowd!
- Strategies for handling the office jerk
- Determining your role and responsibility in specific strategies
- Learn to use a Social Behavior Map to understand and solve conflict